SEARCH MY BLOG...

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Avoid Arguments

I almost had an argument with someone that I know but I'm glad it didn't happen. I was pretty upset afterwards because I really wanted to state my point. I cannot stand it when people treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about when I am fully aware that I do know. I don't know why I let this bother me so much. Maybe it's because I'm still left with a lot of confused feelings and questions.
Recently, I read and learned that, no one ever wins an argument. People tend to think that if you have the last say, that means that you won. If that other person isn't convinced by your argument, you haven't won over them.

"So when you argue with someone and you think you can win or that you have won… think about it more carefully. Even if you make better points and counter each of theirs — that doesn’t mean you’ll convince them that you won. More likely, it means that they’ll get even more upset because you shut them down, or worse — they’ll avoid you, resent you, or be passive aggressive in revenge. For the same reasons that no one wins an argument, arguing only adds more tension to conflict." - See more HERE.

"Argument is war, but with words. The objective is to attack, counter-attack, and parry. Your relationships are not about war, but cooperation. If you find yourself in a heated argument, or firing up for one, ask yourself: Do you want your relationship to go to war? And can anyone win in the first place?"
- See more HERE.

I gave myself some pep talk. I told myself that there is no need to think too much about it. Why do I need to get so upset over it? When I really think about it, what I did was the right thing and I am so glad I remain calmed when I sensed that the talk was no longer a discussion but an argument. I didn't want to ague at that time because I value the relationship more that I rather not let there be conflicts between us.

"To Settle An Argument, Think of What is Right, NOT Who is Right."

"Immature People Always Want To Win An Argument Even At The Cost Of A Relationship. Mature People Understand That It's Always Better To Lose An Argument And Win A Relationship."

"Forgive Those Who Insult You, Attack You, Belittle You Or Take You For Granted. But More Than This, Forgive Yourself For Allowing Them To Hurt You."

"Never Let Your Feelings Get In The Way of Seeing Things As They Truly Are."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...